Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Weight Loss Expectations + Reality + Roadblocks + Detours = Frustrations

It's no secret...weight loss can be an added pain in the arse. What your expectations of what you think you are capable of doing or losing and to what the reality of those expectations are sometimes, well a bit skewed. I went into this thinking I'm going to drop weight like Brody Jenner drops girlfriends, and that's far from the case. While I make healthy food choices and get in a daily workout, I often wonder why the weight isn't dripping off me like diamonds off Liz Taylor. For starters I know I have unrealistic weight loss goals. Thinking that I could drop 100 lbs in less than a year (particularly by my 30th birthday, which is only a month and a half away!), was pretty ambitious (so instead I hope to lose 100 by September 25, the day of the Susan G. Komen Race in Cincinnati). I must've been smoking the peace pipe when I came up with that goal, but I have to take what I can get. Also, watching Biggest Loser doesn't help either. While they are an inspiration to people who are slugging it out with their weight loss journey, losing that much weight at one time puts everyone in a tizzy.

So what should realistic goals be? Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller? And what are good goals to strive for?
Various research bodies—including the American Dietetic Association, the American Heart Association, and the National Institutes of Health, with its national obesity guidelines—recommend aiming for conservative weight loss of 5 percent to 10 percent of your current body weight. Not only is this achievable, overweight and obese people who can lose up to 10 percent of their body weight can see significant improvements in their health risks. For example, the American Heart Association 2006 Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations point out that even modest weight loss of just 5 percent to 10 percent can have a positive impact in diabetes risk and management.

Check out the charts below for examples of what it means to lose 5 percent to 10 percent of your current body weight:


How does this relate to how fast you can drop it like it's hot? How fast can you drop pounds? Most guidelines recommend that you take up to six months to reach a 10 percent weight loss goal. That’s because, even if you can lose it fast, it’s easy to gain back once you go off your program. It’s better to lose a small amount and maintain it, than to lose and gain large amounts yo-yo style. When a person frequently loses and gains, each new dieting attempt takes longer to lose the same amount of weight, and it is more quickly regained. This may be the body’s way of preserving energy during what it senses as an energy-deficient state.

The USDA Dietary Guidelines recommend aiming for slow weight loss by eating fewer calories while maintaining an adequate nutrient intake and increasing physical activity. So aim to lose from one-half to two pounds a week—or, more commonly, one to two pounds a week—by reducing calories by 500 to 1,000 per day.

(figures and stats were brought to you by MSN health article)

Until that miracle pill that you can take with an 8 oz. glass of water comes along, keep fightin' the good fit fight with portion control, moderation and exercise!

SHAMELESS PRODUCT PLUG
My fellow blogger, Tiff , over at the 365 Project was talking about Naked Juice's Green Machine and since I had to hit up the grocery store I thought I get a couple and see how naked juice can be. I got the Red Machine and Green Machine (they were on sale 2 for $5!). At first I was kind of skeptical about how they would taste (so far I've only had the Red Machine), and how they fit a pound, yes a pound, of fruit into a 16 oz. bottle! To my surprise, it was very tasty, and filling. I actually supplemented my breakfast with it this morning (Red Machine was 170 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving and there are two servings per bottle). The great thing about Naked Juice is that it allows you to get in your fruit and veggie serving for the day. Every bottle has over three servings! So in this case when in Rome...go get naked people!
 
 
 
PHAT SHOUT OUTS
I would like to give a shout out to all my readers! Thanks for the comments and the continuous support! I also want to give a Phat shout out to Jen C.! Jen C. has put me to the challenge! She will match me minute for minute, work out for work out! She's been doing great, so keep up the good work Jen C.!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Seriously, after babies, it is totally unexciting to motivate yourself to move instead of sleep... but you did it, Miss Phat Girl. Here's to only wearing my maternity jeans when I am ACTUALLY pregnant:)

    3 LBS this week - awesome comeback miss E:)

    ReplyDelete