Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fat Tuesday: What's up Chicken Butt?

Gooooooodddddd Mooooooorrrrrrning Blogggggies!!! Welcome to this edition of Fat Tuesday. I'm fighting Fat Tuesday with a 3 mile jaunt around campus, followed by 15 minutes worth of weights and crunches this morning (this isn't even including my evening workout!). Time to bring back two-a-days. I will admit, I've slacked off the past three days, and while I can blame it on traveling, which I did a impromptu trip to the Queen City, doesn't mean I should've fallen into the deep valley of laziness. While I digress, today is a brand new day, and it's time to saddle up ol' blue and get back up in dis cut as the kids say.

Let's take a look at the latest cluck to hit the coop. KFC's Double Down Sandwich. I don't know if you've seen this monsterwich but it's the big chick in town.

KFC's Double Down Sandwich, an double fisted collection of bacon, cheese and Colonel's Sauce snuggled between two fried chicken "buns." Granted from our friends over at Thirty Five Eight: Politics Done Right's recent article it's not the unhealthiest sandwich but it sure is holding its own right next to the Triple Baconator from Wendy's, Hardee's Thick Burger and Burger King's Whooper with cheese.

Let's take a more in depth look at the Double Down...

KFC Original Recipe® Double Down
540 calories, 32 grams of fat and 1,380 milligrams of sodium 


KFC Grilled Double Down
460 calories, 23 grams of fat and 1,430 milligrams of sodium

While both versions aren't as bad as other choices on several menus (some would call this lite!), those 540 calories contain 145 milligrams of cholesterol (more than twice that of the Big Mac and about half of the USDA's daily allowance) - along with 1,380 milligrams of sodium (the USDA recommends no more than 2,400 per day) and 32 grams of fat (65 will keep you slim, says the government). So, for getting only about one-quarter of the calories that you need in a day, you're exhausting about half your budget of "bad stuff".


Who wants to exhaust your food intake budget on this!? Think twice before you bite!

2 comments:

  1. This "sandwich" that KFC created is so ridiculous! But it's a fast food place so I didn't even blink an eye when I saw the commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can't believe they even came up with something like this...ok, wait, I take that back, I CAN believe it. I just don't know how someone would find that appetizing! It makes me woozy just seeing it!

    ReplyDelete