Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Running in Jeans

I know I've been on a sporadic blogging schedule the past two weeks, and I promise to get back to blogging once a day starting next week. Tonight I did my usual 3.6 mile walk, and as I'm walking I notice this guy jogging in jeans... that's like riding a water ride, getting soaked, and having to walk around in jeans in like 100 degree humid weather. I wouldn't think jeans are the most flexible yet breathable fabric to jog in... especially for a guy. I would think in someway that would be equivalent to chestnuts roasting on an open fire (yup... I went there...).


So I'm really excited for the Race for the Cure in Cincinnati on Saturday. My sister, her two friends, my grandmother (a breast cancer survivor) and I will be walking in it. In honor of my grandma's struggle and journey with Breast Cancer, I designed a t-shirt for the event (see left). In a way it's kind of surreal to go to something like this. You never get the full affect of a disease that affects thousands of people a year until you do an event like this. It's quite overwhelming to say the least. With all the research I've been doing lately, and preparing for this race it makes me wonder... if I got tested to see if I was a carrier for the BRCA breast cancer gene, and found out that I was a carrier for it, would I be able to face the options that lie ahead. Let's be honest, no one wants to bear the thought of losing a body part, especially "those" body parts. How would I live without Thelma and Louis?

I guess guys would ACTUALLY have to look at my eyes then. This is one reason I'm on this healthy lifestyle journey.


My shameless product plug for the week are Boca Burgers... I LOVE these things. I bought the tomato/pizza burger and the spicy black bean (which by the way, isn't spicy but still tasty). They range around the 120 calorie mark and 4-6 grams of fat. I know what you're thinking... how can that be any where nearly remotely good. Well I'm living proof that they are. They are quite flavorful, juicy, and they will get you a serving of your fruit and veggies for the day. What else could you ask for!


Drum roll please... today's chef specials were as follows:


Breakfast: Nada (I know bad...)


Snack: low-fat granola bar


Lunch: Spicy Bean boca burger (120 calories and 4 grams of fat) with a 1/2 cup of Edamame (100 calories, 3 grams of fat), a slice of Colby Jack cheese (80 calories, 7 grams of fat), whole wheat English muffin (110 calories, 1 gram of fat) and a small banana (70 calories),

Lunch Damage: 480 calories and 15 grams of fat


Snack: Kemp's frozen yogurt parfait (230 calories, 9 grams of fat)


Dinner: went to the Donner's and had Fajita Nachos (guesstimating 800 calories and 20 grams of fat)


Total Damage: 1,600 calories and 44 grams of fat (little high on the calorie intake but low on the fat intake)


Exercise: walked 3.6 miles


Water: 5 glasses
Challenger for my readers...
What do you eat? What are your favorite foods or meals. Show me what you're working with and upload your picture comments with some of your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment