Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Food...Now and Then

Over at Allison's blog Doublechinned, she was discussing foods she use to love and foods she now loves. I thought this was a good idea, so I stole her post idea that she stole from someone else.

FIVE FOODS I USE TO LOVE

Doritos - who could resist that crunch...those zesty flavors...and all that...powdered cheese! I must admit...I had a love affair with a triangle...not that kind people...the Doritos kind. Alas, our love has faded into a mere memory. I'm not sad about it...but I'm sure the manufacturer probably is.

Carbonated, caffeinated beverages - I use to start everyday out with a bottle of regular pop. The thought of it now makes my teeth (and kidneys) hurt. I once read that if you replace one 12 oz sugared beverage a day with water you trim 50,000+ calories a year from your diet. I'm lucky if I even drink one diet soda a week...or month now. Empty calories say what?

Fast food - meals of champions, especially when you work crazy hours and are always on the go. I probably use to eat fast food at least two to three times a week. The thought of it makes me want to grab an Activia! I'm not saying I've totally given this up, but I probably only have fast food once a month if that and that's usually if I'm hitting' the road back to the nasti 'nati. My old staples of chicken nuggets and fries are now replaced with grilled chicken wraps and side salads.

Bread - I don't discriminate, I regulate...especially when it came to the carbs. Oh bread...how I loved thee, let me count the ways...garlic, toasted, buttered and jammed...

Ice cream - I think if I was ever reincarnated into anything it would be a connoisseur of ice cream. I would have to say out of the entire realm of all things that are sweetness this is my weakness. Nothing beats a two scoop raspberry chocolate chip dish from Graeters, or a Cookies and Cream chocolate milkshake from UDF. As the hot summer months approach one thing other than staying cool is on my mind...and that's staying cool in moderation!

FIVE FOODS I NOW LOVE

Veggies - who would ever have thunk that soy beans would taste so good? Not me. I remember when my grandmother use to make me eat asparagus...it wasn't going to move off my plate and the only reaction she was going to get out of me was a gag as I tried to force every stalk down. Now I can't get enough of veggies!

Crystal Light - I use to never like this stuff. I use to think it tasted like a lame version of Kool-Aid. I must say, Crystal Light has made some tantalizing changes to their array of powdered 5 calorie goodness and I no longer keep anything BUT this in the Mansion.

Boca burgers - some might consider this a mystery meatless item, but I heart them! Veggie burgers have come a long way, and now with an array of flavors they are better than ever. Viva la Boca burgers!

English Muffins - how can one resist the nooks and crannies? It makes me feel British just thinking about them! Even though they are smaller (and just as filling as two slices of bread), I've started replacing sliced bread with 100 calorie English Muffins. Not only are you cutting carbs, but calories!

Smoothies - I can't live with out my smoothies! Smoothies make great meal supplements when you're in a jam, or trying to get in your fruits and veggies for the day. Smoothies, smoothies all the way!

2 comments:

  1. You make me wanna blog again... Although, I'm not a great writer!

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nan: You should! I really like it...even though I wouldn't call myself a writer by any means! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete