Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Jackie Knows Fat the Best?

So Jackie Warner, celebrity trainer and star of the Bravo (non-hit) series "Workout," just dropped this book. Apparently she knows why I'm fat and she will teach me the ways of getting thin for life. I like Jackie Warner, I've seen her show, I've seen the results she has helped people achieve, and from what I've read this book has gotten mixed reviews. Not only for the content inside, which apparently it doesn't tell you anything different than anything us weight watchers don't know, but it's also getting flack for using the "F" word.
(side note: I should probably read the book for my own assessment and I plan to do that after pay day next week...book review to follow).

My fellow bloggers over Fit Bottom Girls posted this about the book. I have to agree with Jenn on some of her points. The use of the word "fat" is definitely sensationalized on this cover, and many will buy this book and be forever changed by Jackie and her fitness knowledge. After reading the article I started thinking about the "F" word, how I use it and how I hear it used around me. Back in the day the word use to make me uncomfortable, so much I would feel sick at the sound of hearing it. No one wants to be called names, especially the "F" word. The "F" word is like an elephant in the room ... everybody sees it, everybody is thinking it, and some may even say it. Some how over the years I suppose I've embraced the word to the point it doesn't bother me. Maybe I've become desensitized by it, maybe I see it for it is, or maybe it's just always "there."

I will admit, I jokingly use that word when I talk about myself, and I probably shouldn't do that, but I'm fat so I can, right? Probably not, but it comes with the territory of being the funny, fat girl I suppose. But does the fact that I use that word referring to myself reflect poorly on me? Some say it might, but I never viewed it like that because that's what I do but maybe I should start viewing it as a poor reflection on my views of myself. The way I talk about myself sometimes I would never talk to a best friend, my sister, or family member like that.

From this point on I vow not to use the "F" word when I talk about myself, because in all honesty I don't view myself as that word and the negative connotations that can come with it. So good bye fat...HELLO phat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment