Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Exception to the Rule

Rules: some say they were meant to be broken, others follow them religiously and some are the "exception" to it. When it comes to weight loss is there the exception to the rule? This all started a couple weeks ago when I was watching "he's just not that into you" and I started thinking about exceptions to rules. For example, you can wear white except for white shoes after Labor Day; The 'i before e' except when after 'c' rule when writing; at my job we have casual Fridays for the three summer months where you can wear what you wear during the week with the exception that you can wear khaki's but you can't wear anything "casual" (no jeans, no tank tops, no casual business shorts...); when you think about all the exceptions to rules you might as well have a handbook about them and throw colored little flags if you are causing any offense to them.


 
I started thinking about all the rules that "are a given" when losing weight:
  • Eat fruits and veggies
  • 8 glasses of water a day
  • Adding more fiber to your diet
  • Exercise at least 30 minutes a day for three days
  • Wheat and whole grains
  • Limited quantities of complex sugars and carbs
  • Incorporating additional protein to diet
  • Eliminating soda beverages or replacing them with "diet" ones
  • Limiting sodium and fat intake
  • Limit intake of alcohol
  • Portion control and moderation

 
I started thinking of all the "exceptions to the rules" to losing weight:
  • Food restriction
  • Dietary supplements
  • Diet/Fad programs
  • Water pills and Laxatives
  • Over-excessive Steam Room/Sauna
  • Over-excessive Exercise
  • Certain kinds of Cosmetic Surgery
I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to weight loss there are no exceptions to the rule. The rule is to eat right, exercise, portion control and moderation. Unfortunately, I've learned my lessons the hard way...more than once, but no more I say! I use to think there were exceptions to the rules of losing weight; and it got me back to where I was and then some. Not proud of it, but I learned from it, and I hope to educate others about the dangers of the exceptions because of the unhealthy consequences that happen from our weight loss choices.

Lesson Learned: Work smarter not harder is what someone told me once; and I plan to apply this to my weight loss goals but I will have to work hard to get to them. It's not how I get there, but the journey that I embark on when I finally do get there!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment